>From my limited experience of Drupal I would say it is a beast of a
CMS system which has the most shockingly complex and ugly
administration backend.

I designed and redesigned an entirely self coded bespoke CMS system
for fundraising.co.uk.  A few years back he decided he wanted to go
open-source as that was what the not-for-profit community was doing
and asked if I would learn Drupal.  I declined and he went elsewhere
to get his site developed, but still hosts it with us on a dedicated
managed server.

He is now onto his 5th or 6th Drupal developer and the site has very
few improvements over what my last bespoke solution gave him, in fact
it has regularly crashed his server which he only runs this one
website on (has a few tiny ones on it too, but too small to be a
factor). We have had to upgrade the servers RAM yet it still peaks out
on regular occasions due to the resources his combination of plugins
seem to demand.

Because this off-the-shelf *cough* CMS system is supposed to do
everything for everyone, the administration section is overly complex
and took my client some learning to be able to get his head around.

Personally I believe a bespoke CMS with only the features the client
wants is a much cleaner solution and that basing a bespoke CMS on
CakePHP means it's coded using a framework other developers can step
into or contribute to at any time.

Also, the Drupal website that was slower, more resource hungry and
offered little improvement cost the client way in excess of what I
charged for developing his website twice, not counting the cost of the
4 or 5 developers since.

But at the end of the day you can try convincing a client as much as
you want, they probably have some devil sitting on their shoulder, Bob
in the office who has never coded a line in his life but knows all
about web development, saying Drupal is the best thing since sliced
bread.  As cricket says, sometimes you have to take it or leave it.

HTH

Paul.

their CakePHP related questions.