For my point of view, I want to be designing and building new code to
solve specific client problems. I do not want to be configuring
someone else's already poorly designed and implemented system and
trying to figure out how to solve problems that are created by using
said system.

So I tend to focus on those issues. I usually explain the pit falls of
using a system that is common, popular, etc.
1. You'll have no advantage over your competitors who are using the
same systems.
2. It will be bloated and have many features you don't need or in some
cases don't want and have no way to disable.
3. It will be missing those feature which your business needs that
separates you from your competitors.
4. You'll be stuck using plugins that are written which are close to
what you need but never quite get what your really need.
5. You give up your ability to request a feature and have it
implemented in a timely fashion.
6. You'll be paying to solve problems which have nothing to do with
your business just to make this popular software fit.
7. Integrating your other systems to this popular system will not
always be trivial.

We are a development group, we use solid tools, and languages that are
well known in the development community. We use patterns that are
proven for both stability, and the development time line. We use an
agile weekly cycle. You will have something to start looking at within
a week (it takes less than a day to deploy my shell site). We will
meet regularly, and identify feature priority.

We (my group) already have a bunch of common modules in place with our
starting shell (users, profiles, acl, large file managment, shoping
cart, etc.) these are all highly configurable and very easy for us to
modify as we wrote them and have the source.

My goal is to be able to have a system which can be deployed with
those things that are common to all web sites, and have a high level
of confidence in being able to easily build on top of that core those
client specific needs in as little time as possible. We have a good
base shell and we improve that shell with every site we build on top
of it. This also improves every site we've already deployed.

their CakePHP related questions.