Anastassis Perrakis schrieb:
Kay - disagreeing once was enough ... so:

I share your thoughts about the wiki !

However, the dynamics of Wikipedia are an interesting issue and relate to 'vandalism'. Being a small contributor to the Greek Wiki, which has far less subscribers than the English one, I can see that the dynamics do not work well. People can sneak in loads of crap, that are unlikely to be read
and corrected by an expert, due to the smaller number of contributors.

Since there are less crystallographers that Greeks, I would conclude,
that the English Wiki dynamics can not be taken for granted.

So, some thought might need be given not to 'security' but if you prefer 'access rights'. People at CCP4 should (I guess are) thinking for moderation, access rights to types of articles etc.

I agree that it is good to think about possible problems before they occur. On the other hand there is a proverb that I don't quite remember, something to the effect of "fear is a bad advisor".

What this means to me is

a) the "vandalism damage" is moderate (the MediaWiki software even stores older versions of each article), and what the "risk of vandalism" is we actually don't know (even given your experience with the Greek Wiki). b) why not just start and see how the Wiki develops? Maybe a bigger risk than that of vandalism is that no-one contributes if the hurdles are too high! c) I see this as a community effort. Having only a few selected persons contribute is against this idea, and reduces the potential benefit.

Kay

For hierarchies, parallel efforts, GPL, I agree. ;-)

Tassos

PS Kay, your digital signature has some trouble for me - cant read it - you may want to know.