> how about this scenario:
> the structure really is as published, or very like it, but upon
> refinement, R-factors were high, other indicators were dodgy etc. so
> the authors were afraid to publish as is and made up a dataset to
> support their structure - this would be a bit less bad.

pardon me. you can't seriously mean what you just wrote. maybe
somebody ought to be checking your structures ...

;-)  Manfred.

*                    Dr. Manfred S. Weiss                          *
*                         Team Leader                              *
* EMBL Hamburg Outstation                    Fon: +49-40-89902-170 *
* c/o DESY, Notkestr. 85                     Fax: +49-40-89902-149 *
* D-22603 Hamburg                   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* GERMANY                       Web: www.embl-hamburg.de/~msweiss/ *