IMHO, gratuitous permutation of the cell axes in the data & co-ordinates
is certainly not always an easy option since it's a real pain to have
datasets around with different indexings: it causes endless confusion,
particularly as in one case I had in P22121 where the a & b cell lengths
were very close so it wasn't obvious just by looking at the files
whether they had been re-indexed or not!

The problem is specifically that ARP/wARP *doesn't* support the IUCr
convention as given in IT (Vol. A, >= 1983 edition, Table 9.3.4.1, p.758
in 5th ed.) regarding choice of cell in primitive orthorhombic space
groups, and I suspect in centred monoclinic ones also.  AFAIK ARP/wARP
and pointless are the only two CCP4 programs that currently don't fully
support the IUCr convention (though I suppose you could argue that
ARP/wARP isn't technically a CCP4 program).

It seems to me that the IUCr cell choice convention has a perfectly
rational basis: the cell is chosen at the time the images are indexed
solely on the basis of the assigned Bravais lattice symmetry, and
provided that no problems with pseudo-symmetry are discovered later on
it should never normally need to be changed thereafter.  Systematic
absences (not including absences due to centred lattices) have no
influence on the choice of cell for the simple reason that they are not
always reliable indicators of the true space group (particularly
screw-axis absences).  Assignment of the space-group symbol often does
not occur until the heavy-atom Patterson or translation function
solution stage, and I don't see the sense in being forced to permute the
cell axes at that stage.

It seems to me that a design goal of 'user-friendly' software should be
to minimise the opportunity for the user to make obvious blunders which
can waste a lot of time to sort out (even if it means making life a
little more difficult for the programmer)!

-- Ian

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy
all copies of the message and any attached documents.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park,
Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674