Phil,

For the record, the program XPREP - widely used by small molecule
crystallographers but also useful for macromoleculess - always
makes the conventional cell (in this example P 21 21 2) the default
(i.e. what you get if you always hit <Enter>), and writes out new
.hkl and .ins files in this setting unless the user forces it to do
otherwise (the .ins file is used for solving the structure with
direct methods and contains the cell corresponding to the new .hkl
file). There are three cases where it is intentionally made less
awkward for the user to choose an alternative setting if she/he so
wishes:

1. Primitive rhombohedral rather than the hexagonal cell with
three times the volume. Unlike the situation for macromolecules,
where some older programs do not work with the primitive
rhombohedral cell, the primitive cell is quite often chosen for
small molecules.

2. The space group I2 rather than C2 if it results in a beta
angle much closer to 90 degrees (or when it is desired to compare
the structure with a structure - possibly another crystalline
phase of the same compound - in say I222). The same applies to
other C-centred monoclinic cells, e.g. Cc <-> Ia etc. (but Fd is
discouraged).

3. The setting P21/n rather than P21/c if it results in a beta
angles much closer to 90 etc.

These three 'unconventional' settings are also generally accepted
by the checking software, databases and journals. To cover all
reasonable non-standard settings, XPREP actually understands 413
different space groups!

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,