Phil,

It also affects centred monoclinic: to avoid some cases of beta > 120
you have to use the I121 setting instead of C121 (and it is a
conventional setting, see IT vol. A pp.126-7).  For example the
conventional (but non-standard) I121 setting: a=50 b=60 c=51 beta=90.2
would I think be re-indexed by pointless to the unconventional (but
standard) C121 setting: a=71.3 b=60 c=50 beta=134.3.

Trigonal, tetragonal & hexagonal settings with a or b unique are
definitely not only non-standard but also non-conventional: they violate
Table 9.3.4.1 in IT Vol. A and they don't appear in the diagrams, so
let's not go there!  The point about the IUCr convention is that the
cell is determined by the rules in Table 9.3.4.1 so you would never get
into that situation.  For the oP lattice the cell is determined once and
for all by the rules in exactly the same way: the systematic absences
are not taken into account because they are not always reliable, e.g. it
may be only after you've solved the TF that you can assign the SG
correctly, or at least beyond reasonable doubt, and re-indexing at that
point makes no sense.

To summarise my POV: I don't really care which convention you use, but I
think gratuitous re-indexing (i.e. without the user specifically asking
for it) is just very confusing, and this is what can happen if you stick
to the standard settings.  I'm all for educating users, and re-indexing
1 or 2 datasets can be very educational, but if you have lots of
datasets to deal with it's no longer amusing!  Sometimes re-indexing
*is* needed, e.g. because you already have isomorphous protein-ligand
structures and you want to be able to compare them easily, but this
should *only* be done to conform to a reference dataset.  I don't see
any point in re-indexing just to conform to the 'standard setting'
'non-convention' which is derived from a mis-reading of the 1952 ed of
IT (my guess is they didn't list all the conventional settings because
the publisher wanted to save money! - but at least they saw sense for
the 1983 ed.).

In any case this will only affect users of Arp/Warp, all other CCP4
programs (and most non-CCP4 programs, e.g. Shel-X, CNS etc) can handle
non-standard settings, and if you use Mosflm and always specify SG P222
for all oP cases (which I always do anyway), you would have to re-index
anyway.

-- Ian