Once upon a time I worked in a group that was interested in developing
crystallization in microfluidics. This was before the time that Fluidigm
existed and we had not heard of crystallization with the aid of microfluidics
at the time. We had good reason to try to make a system that was as small and
light as possible - it had something to do with the cost of shipping proteins
and precipitants - less was better. And we also wanted all protein drops to be
fully enclosed, out of safety considerations.

Like Tassos, we were very worried what would happen if you scaled back drops
along the lines of this discussion - several uL downto tens of nanoliters. If
the stochastic process had a major influence over this process, we thought that
we would never get any crystals. So we set up side-by-side experiments at
larger volumes and smaller volumes - basically scanning several orders of
magnitude - expecting a decrease of the number of crystals when volumes
decrease. To our great surprise the outcome was that smaller volumes almost
always gave MORE (I almost want to say 'dramatically more') crystals, more
nucleation, and indeed in various cases the crystals grew much faster also.
Indeed, it was trivial to observe that the surface-to-volume ratio was the
primary driver for the nucleation process. We had control over geometry to some
extent and were able to observe surfaces while crystals grow. The crystals
would most commonly nucleate on a surface.

So although there probably is something to stochastic aspects, it is clear that
other aspects can be more important and "overrule" the stochastic
considerations.
The somewhat unpleasant consquence is of course that results acquired in very
small volumes (with larger surface-to-volume ratio) cannot necessarily be
repeated in larger volumes (smaller surface-to-volume ratio).

This is not a flame, even if heat might be a good thing on a night with
temperatures predicted far below 0F.

?:-)

Mark