Tim - I would recommend a spectrometer that records entire spectra, instead of one that takes readings at just 280 nm. Contributions from light scattering can be very strong and can give results that deviate from the true value by a factor of two or more. One cannot detect scattering without recording spectra. The most severe case we have had was someone who thought the protein concentration was 10 mg/mL (based on 280) when in reality (after subtraction of the scattering contribution) it was only 4 mg/mL. Lots of other, less severe cases as well. Hope that helps. Best - MM

Mischa Machius, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Biochemistry
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.; ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816; U.S.A.
Tel: +1 214 645 6381
Fax: +1 214 645 6353