Agree!

I think for crystallographic use the nanodrop is perfectly okay to see if
the protein is 5mg/ml or 30mg/ml. But in fact I also do not trust our
instrument if it comes to more important issues like preparing solutions for
titrations or assays. And due to the small pathlength I do not trust
absorptions of small concentrated samples at all. I always prefer a "real"
2-beam spectrophotometer (monochromators) with a quarz-cuvette and a nice
pathlength. Of course, you cannot reliably measure solutions exceeding Abs 1
or maybe 1.5 OD in a spectrophotometer with 1cm pathlength.

There's also one quite strange thing about the nanodrop - they sell the
"calibration check solution" (which is some kind of yellow chromate-solution
with known absorption), then you check your nanodrop with it and maybe find
out that it's off to some certain extend: But then you're stuck(!), because
you cannot calibrate it on your own. I guess it would be quite easy to
integrate a calibration-option into the software, but at the moment the
instrument tells you "calibration failure" and you have to call the service
guys who then carry it home and calibrate it by turning of the two small
screws at the top of it and then glue them with locktite.

Anyway, at least for our mid to high concentrated samples the nanodrop is
not showing large fluctuations so we are happy with it. But everyone using a
nanodrop should check it from time to time - as I found out that ours was
off more than 20% at one day - which raised some trouble of course.

Cheers,

Gregor