Dear all,

Thanks a lot for raising the issue with the not reproducibility of protein
measurement with Nanodrop. We use the instrument as a workhorse in the lab.
Indeed, recently I observed that the protein concentration suggested by
Nanodrop is sometimes differ to the usual colorimetric measurement (Bradford
method, measured with our Pharmacia's Ultrospec 2000 spectrometer). Since
the cell in Nanodrop is very small, could it be due to the homogeneity of
the sample in the cell? Also what I have observed, we have to be sure that
the cell is cleaned properly before use. Another thing is, at high protein
concentration I obtained noisy absorption curve at the peak (like a
seismograf ....) thus the protein concentration measured is doubtful, I have
to dilute the sample to have good curve (thank God it requires only 2
mikroliter for a measurement). Well, I think nanodrop is a good, fast, and
powerful instrument, however it would be better if we established a
reference of our daily practice to a normal spectrometer measurement.

cheers,

Wangsa

--
Wangsa Tirta Ismaya