From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Jacob Keller
Sent: 28 January 2009 18:05
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] small lines in diffraction pattern

Acta Cryst. (1998). D54, 848-853    [ doi:10.1107/S0907444998001875
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444998001875>  ]

A Description of Imperfections in Protein Crystals

C. Nave
<http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/citedin?search_on=name&author_name=Nave
,%20C.>

Abstract: An analysis is given of the contribution of various crystal
imperfections to the rocking widths of reflections and the divergence of
the diffracted beams. The crystal imperfections are the angular spread
of the mosaic blocks in the crystal, the size of the mosaic blocks and
the variation in cell dimensions between blocks. The analysis has
implications for improving crystal perfection, defining data-collection
requirements and for data-processing procedures. Measurements on
crystals of tetragonal lysozyme at room temperature and 100 K were made
in order to illustrate how parameters describing the crystal
imperfections can be obtained. At 100 K, the dominant imperfection
appeared to be a variation in unit-cell dimensions in the crystal.

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
Dallos Laboratory