From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Gerard
Bricogne
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:03 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] images

Dear Bernhard,

     I suppose you meant "ad nauseam" ;-) .
In any case, what is the use of discussions and recommendations that
are not followed by action, and only result in making their contributors
themselves nauseated to the point of wanting to "put this to rest"?
     As Ethan has nicely stated in his reply to Garib's double-check of
whether we do need images, this matter should NOT be put to rest: it should
be dealt with. As was argued at the end of the paper by Joosten, Womack et
al. (Acta Cryst. D65, 176-185), the main advantage of depositing images
would be that it would enable and stimulate the further developement and
testing of image integration and data processing software, to the same
degree that the deposition of structure factors has stimulated progress and
testing for structure refinement software.

     Far from a boring issue only capable of giving headaches to Standards
Committee members, this is a vital issue: with each undeposited set of
images that contributed in one way or another to the determination or
refinement of a deposited structure, there disappears an opportunity to test
improvements in methods and software that would be likely to improve that
deposited entry (and most others) at a future stage. I think we need to take
a long view on this, and abandon the picture of the PDB as a static archive
of frozen results: instead, it should be seen as a repository of what is
required not only to validate/authenticate the deposited models, but to feed
the continued improvement of the methods used - and hence, at the next
iteration, the constant revision and improvement of those very models. In
what way can this topic be a source of nausea?

     With best wishes,
Gerard.