From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Eric
Bennett
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 7:10 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] fake images

Bernhard Rupp wrote:

>I only scratched the surface and I think it would be hard work to fake
>the images in a way that later expert forensics would
>not readily provide evidence. Also, there are 'watermarks' available from
>cryptographic methods that are even 'post-processing' resistant.

A practical question is, even if it could be detected in theory, is
anyone looking for it in practice?  How many journal reviewers are
going to audit this information?

Today some structures still don't get deposited with structure
factors.  Not all journals enforce deposition policies well.  Even if
some future image repository can do automated image auditing, people
who want to commit overt fraud will pick a journal that doesn't
enforce deposition requirements, and decline to provide their images.

A watermark or statistical analysis won't help you if you don't have
access to the image.  This discussion started regarding a place for
people who _want_ to deposit images; unfortunately some people aren't
going to do it voluntarily.

-Eric