Felix

I would be very surprised if anyone could calculate the expected Rfree
in this case with any degree of reliability, since it seems to have been
refined with a combination of TLS and rigid-bond/sphericity anisotropic
ADP restraints.  Taking account of restraints, particularly thermal ones
which have to be assigned ad hoc weights in the absence of
experimentally observed ones (as is the case with geometrical
restraints) in the calculation of <Rfree> is non-trivial!

Cheers

-- Ian

On
> Behalf Of Felix Frolow
> Sent: 20 March 2009 14:31
> To: James Holton
> Cc: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] fake images and R-Rfree values
>
> I must add something...
> ID14-2 beam line in our hands produced during first decade of 2000's
> data sets that
> for structures at about 1.8 - 1.6 Angstrom constantly leaded to a very
> good  R - Rfree (in the range of 12 %-18%)
> As an example see PDB entry 1Y9A. If will be needed I will supply
> diffraction data for several structures. Such quality  produces
> problems as a referee
> accused us by "over-fitting Rfree" whatever it means. He also "new"
> what is a theoretical difference of R-Rfree in any resolution?
> During our  discussions recently with Dr Alexander Popov, responsible
> for the ESRF  ID23-1 beam line on this matter  Dr Popov suggest that
> it is
> because the X-ray beam on this station is very large. I also think
> that its is largely parallel, old quality of the synchrotron lines.
> Maybe other people who noticed similar thing may add more.
>
> BTW final data set scaling statistics (SCALEPAK) is shown:
>
> Shell Lower Upper                   Average
> Average                                             Norm.
> Linear Square
>   limit    Angstrom                               I
> error                stat.              Chi**2           R-
> fac                R-fac
>
>       20.00                   3.79            7081.7
258.9
>        136.6          1.172
> 0.029                 0.031
>         3.79                  3.01            3894.0
157.2
> 95.2             1.278            0.038               0.040
>         3.01                  2.63            1514.9             97.1
> 64.8              0.956            0.056              0.140
>         2.63                  2.39              938.8
75.4
> 57.5              0.976            0.074              0.080
>         2.39                  2.22              717.1
74.5
> 59.5              0.925            0.093              0.100
>         2.22                  2.09              534.2
71.6
> 62.2              0.947            0.122              0.116
>         2.09                  1.99              398.6
70.6

http://heasarc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits.html

> >> Harry
> >> --
> >> Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre,
> >> Hills
> >> Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QH

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing
i.tic...@astex-therapeutics.com and destroy all copies of the message and any
attached documents.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park,
Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674