Yes, Harry, indeed there is a program for simulating diffraction patterns. You can get a development snapshot of it here:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/mlfsom/development_snapshot.tar.gz

MLFSOM (mosflm in reverse) is not the only program of its kind in existence and I don't think it is a good idea to keep the fact that they exist a secret in any way. In fact, MLFSOM has been extremely instructive in establishing how important different sources of error are to the structure determination process, and where the "threshold of solvability" is in real-world units. I am writing this up now and I have given several talks about it recently but it has always puzzled me that noone has EVER asked me if there is some way to "identify as fake" the images that come from MLFSOM. The answer to this question is: "Yes, there are several".

Moving on...

When it comes to Garib's original question of "do we need the images", I am definitely of the opinion that the answer to this question is "yes". In fact, I would like to ask Garib and everyone else if they can answer the question: Why is Rcryst/Rfree from almost every protein crystal structure on the order of 20% when the intensities are generally measured to better than 5%? What are we missing? Small molecule structures are unpublishable with Rcryst > Rsym because this means that the presented model does not explain the observations to within experimental error. I will tell you for nothing that if you feed fake data from MLFSOM into Elves and ARP/wARP, you will get back an Rcryst/Rfree that is roughly equal to Rsym (~5-6%), so this means that none of the sources of error I have included in MLFSOM: photon-counting noise, shutter jitter, beam flicker, sample vibration, diffuse scatter, absorption effects, funny spot shapes, radiation damage, detector read-out and calibration noise. None of these sources of error are big enough to explain the "R-factor gap" in macromolecular crystallography. So, if you don't know what it is we are missing, how can you be sure it is not in the image data?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

harry powell wrote:
Hi

I've heard of a tool from the Golden State which could (potentially) be used for forging diffraction images... I believe it's called "mlfsom".