From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Matthew Alan Bratkowski
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:45 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Lost my protein

Hi.

I have experienced similar problems with the Amicon filters previously.  I
found that using a swing bucket rather than a fixed angle centrifuge and
keeping the speed at 4000 g, the recommended speed, resulted in better
yields.  If you have a large volume to concentrate (>12 mL), using an Amicon
stirred pressure cell first may work better.  This prevents repeated
spinning of the filter, which is not recommended by the company.
In my experience, using the same filter a few times is ok, but I guess that
repeated centrifugation could eventually crack the filter.

Matt