On Thursday, October 14, 2010 02:28:26 pm Jacob Keller wrote:
> I have always found this angle independence difficult. Why, if the anomalous
> scattering is truly angle-independent, don't we just put the detector at 90
> or 180deg and solve the HA substructure by Patterson or direct methods using
> the pure anomalous scattering intensities? Or why don't we see pure
> "anomalous spots" at really high resolution?

> I think Bart Hazes' B-factor idea is right,

Yes, certainly.
But the fall-off of intensity at higher resolution due to imperfect ordering
(modeled by a B factor) is a separate issue from have an angular dependence
of the scattering factors.
Both reduce the measured intensity, but for different reasons.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg