Actually, people forget the 1/r term because it is gone by the end of Chapter 6 of Woolfson.

Yes, it is true that, for the single "reference electron" the scattered intensity falls off with the inverse square law of distance (r) and, hence, the amplitude falls off with 1/r. However, the units of "intensity" here is photons/area. This is not the same as the units of "intensity" for an integrated diffraction spot (photons). That is, spots are an integral over solid angle, so the 1/r^2 term goes away. A shame, really, that we use the word "intensity" to describe so many different things. Leads to a lot of confusion like this! It is also a real shame that certain individuals are so draconianly eristic about "units" because this discourages the use of colloquial "units" (like photons/um^2 or electrons) as an educational tool.

The loss of the 1/r^2 term arises because diffraction from a crystal is "compressed" into very sharp peaks. That is, as the crystal gets larger, the interference fringes (spots) get smaller, but the total number of scattered photons must remain constant. The photons/area at the tippy-top of this "transform-limited peak" is (theoretically) very large, but difficult to measure directly as it only exists over an exquisitely tiny solid angle at a very precise "still" crystal orientation. In real experiments, one does not see this transform-limited peak intensity because it is "blurred" by other effects, like the finite size of a pixel (usually very much larger than the peak), the detector point-spread function, the mosaicity of the crystal, unit cell inhomogeneity (Nave disorder) and the spread of angles in the incident beam (often called "divergence" or "crossfire"). It is this last effect that often tricks people into thinking that spot intensity falls off with 1/r. However, if you do the experiment of chopping down the beam to a very low divergence, choosing a wavelength where air absorption is negligible, and then measuring the same diffraction spot at several different detector distances you really do find that the pixel intensity is the same: independent of distance.

Yes, I have actually done this experiment!

-James Holton
MAD Scientist