Dear Colin and all interested in the FEL development.

Please look at the figures in the first link I mentioned. Jom Luiten et al. are
able to record a 1.25 A resolution diffraction pattern of a gold foil using a
pulse compressed to 50 fs. Ahmed Zewail is a pioneer of the technique but as
far as I know his instrumentation is nowhere near Jom's amazing machine.

Why Jom's paper was not published in one of the high profile journals, ahem,
magazines, is a mystery to me.

Petr