Colin,

We know that with a dose of 20-30 electrons per A^2, a lot of image processing,
and insane amount of luck, one can reconstruct cryoEM images to 3 A resolution
or better. A typical protein molecule is say 100 A in diameter, which is ~8000
A^2 in projection. So, in an ideal case one needs only 240,000 electrons to
record an image of a protein molecule with a signal extending to 3A resolution.

Jacob,

Yes, you are correct. Jom et al. manipulate electron bunches of 1+ Mln
electrons, which should be enough to record an image of a protein molecule.

Best,

Petr