Precisely, one should not use it! I have seen people do it either because they dont fully understand what is going on or are not at all familiar with the documentation. In phenix the output .mtz contains Fo plus x% Rfree flag=1, so one may try and do this for refmac because of one of the two above mentioned reasons (or both)