Hi Nat,

> one of my colleagues found (on Linux) that the exp() function provided
> by g77 was 20-fold slower than the equivalent in the Intel math library.

I do not know whether this has recently been changed, but the license for
icc-produced executables used to be rather restrictive. If I remember
correctly, you were not allowed to distribute the binaries, full stop.
This together with the fact that until recently (icc v.11.0.074) the
icc-produced executables would not run on specific AMD-based hardware, had
made me return to the safety of gcc.

My twocents,
Nicholas

--

            Nicholas M. Glykos, Department of Molecular Biology
     and Genetics, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus,