Hi Ian,

That sounds like way more than it should be, in fact it sounds like
you've been quoted the cost of the commercial licence and then some!
From Intel's website the academic licence for icc (Linux/2 seats) is
$570 incl 1 year's support.  Renewal of support for subsequent years
will be less than this, probably around $250/year. I have ifort + icc
(Linux/single user) & we paid about $1200 for the 1st year, and $500
for subsequent year's support.

The $9,997.00 price I quoted are for the XE parallel studio versions
(C,C++,Fortran,...) as given at

http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23S74

(which is where the page at http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-sdp-home/
directs to if you select the C++ compiler for linux).

For the XE version of C++ the prices for 3-year/2-seat academic is $6,499.00
(http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23S76)
and for Fortran alone is $7,800.00
(http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23S91)

I do not doubt that the prices you quote are also correct for a different
product line (and I do not have anything against Intel :-)

Nicholas

--
            Nicholas M. Glykos, Department of Molecular Biology
     and Genetics, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus,