Dear Marc,

The only way a reviewer can really judge the quality ofa structure and verify the claims made in a structural biology manuscript is by having access to the pdb files and x-ray data. I have myself as a reviewer requested co-ordinates and data for this purpose, and the results can be quite revealing, both in positive and negative sense. I have no problem myself to provide data when requested and even to release structures before publication. The latter has helped me for a paper that was accepted last week where one of the referees wrote in hes/her report that he/she could only judge the paper correctly because the data were available for downloading. Thus I am a strong advocate for all structural data to be made available to referees upon submission of a manuscript.

Science and scientific publishing requires a great deal of mutual trust. This is not only for the reader or referee who has to trust that the work is correct and not fraudulent. It also goes in the opposite way where the author has to trust the referees and editors to be honest. Only in this way can the system work. Otherwise, just keep everything for yourself and don't publish. In the 23 years that I am active in science I had only a single case where I genuinely believe a referee misused his position. This to say that 99.99% of the referee reports are honest, although not necessarily in agreement with your own vision.

Remy Loris
Vrije Universiteit Brussel and VIB