After consulting several Mac users, I decided that there were very few 32-bit Mac operating systems still in use by crystallographers, so (as stated on the new SHELX homepage) I am only providing a 64-bit executables for Macs. The Mac executables do not run on old Macs with PPC processors either. For Linux and Windows I provide both 32 and 64-bit versions. One problem is that even if I tried to cross-compile a 32-bit version for Macs (with -m32 on the ifort compile/link command line?), I would have no way of testing it, and I would not wish to distribute untested programs. It might destroy SHELX's reputation for robustness. All SHELX programs in this release are as far as physically possible statically linked, which explains why the executables are large (though the Intel MKL FFT can take some of the blame for that too). Static linking is an essential part of the SHELX 'zero dependencies' philosophy.

Apart from some trivial problems like some programs pretending to be beta-test versions when in fact they are the final release (I had simply forgotten to change the text), the complaint by Zhu was the only significant problem reported from the first ca. 500 downloads. There was however a problem in registering for the programs via the homepage using iPhones, but I think that I have managed to fix that now (I don't possess an iPhone or any other cell phone). However I would be very grateful to hear if anyone encounters difficulties with the new release or the homepage, there is so much new material in the homepage that there must be plenty of typos.

George