> On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:15 PM, Chun Luo <c...@accelagen.com> wrote:
>
> In addition to price, the prevalence of Ni purification may be another reason
> for Tris popularity. Some His-tagged constructs don't bind to Ni well in
> HEPES. I wonder if anyone has similar experience or comments. —Chun

No, I have not specifically noted that before.

Additionally, why would you use a positively charged buffer on a weak cation
exchange resin?  The Ni affinity resins, in addition to their noteworthy
affinity for various metals, are also weak cation exchange resins.  Binding a
positively charged buffer to a negatively charged column material can cause pH
effects that you probably weren’t expecting.

Tris may have some uses.  But using it in a mobile phase with Ni affinity
columns or as a final sample buffer aren’t the best cases for choosing Tris.  I
understand it is widely used in aquaculture applications where they are
treating tens of thousands of gallons of water, and price of the buffer
substance is an actual consideration.

Craig