Hi Chitra,

To add to the discussion, I can offer an example about obtaining the
structure of a flexible/disordered N-term of a membrane protein.

Previous structures of the full-length multidrug efflux transporter AcrB
(12 TM helices in each protein ~1000 residues, forms a trimer, so 36 TM
helices) were missing the first 6 residues in the N-term in the cytoplasm
but we could determine this structure and look at some interesting
sequence-structure implications of these first 6 residues in our structure:

"Crystal structure of the multidrug efflux transporter AcrB at 3.1 Å
resolution reveals the N-terminal region with conserved amino acids
Debanu Das,* Qian Steven Xu,* Jonas Y. Lee, Irina Ankoudinova, Candice
Huang, Yun Lou, Andy DeGiovanni, Rosalind Kim, and Sung-Hou Kim"

I think there should also be examples of C-term or N-term
expression/purification tags that are ordered in some crystal forms of a
target but disordered in other crystal forms/structures of the same
target/homologs.

Best,
Debanu
--