There were off brand tips. made 100% of the difference. We got some of the ones from non Weller sources and they were just not workable.

Also your Soldapullit alternative worked in about 1 in 10 uses for me. I suspect the boards I had had different heat characteristics, and I'd usually end up with half baked shots and maybe even having to re-tin and go to the weller (which involved taking a board to the office).

I worked with a guy who was fixing 30 to 50 boards a day with 1 to 10 7400 type IC's per board with the DS-100. If properly set up it worked. My partner worked with him and they had a system to keep the Weller going, and I know I don't know all the details. Just buying one that was used and not rebuilding it with known components didn't work.

My attempt at that failed when I bought one.

Amount of wool, type of wool, pressure of shop air, volume of delivery, proper adjustment of the vacuum system, all made the vacuum @ the desolder tip work properly.

I'd have taken it off your hands.
thanks
Jim