On 07/13/2017 11:26 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

On 7/13/2017 6:52 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
On 07/13/2017 11:02 AM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

On 7/13/2017 12:31 AM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
There are also vacuum desoldering stations that use "shop air" to derive the vacuum, rather than having an internal pump. I've never used them as I don't normally have an air compressor anywhere near my electronics
workbench.
This works very well. The best station for 7400 type IC's was a Weller vacuum desoldering station.

I have a Pace station at work with a vacuum pump in the box. At home I have one with a foot pedal that contains a venturi vacuum generator that requires compressed air. These work really well. I think the handpieces are model
SX-70.

Jon
I had one of the Wellers with the probe and head like the DS-100 with the builtin vacuum. It was nowhere near as good as the one with the shop air venturi. The latter hit with enough more force to clear a hole more often that it was the one to have.

Nice to have a portable home one, however.
The air/venturi station is quite portable, but the place you use it has to be plumbed for shop air, so not as portable as it might seem. Now that SMT is the rule, I don't use it as much.

Jon