On 3/9/23 10:16 AM, John Maxwell wrote:
Nowhere do I see any mention of a Model 80 Reference Disk. If you don't have one of these, you will not be able to configure the machine.

Yep. I'm well aware. This is not my 1st PS/2 rodeo. I actually cut my teeth on used PS/2s in the mid-90s.

I _should_ have a copy of one lying around (or already imaged/archived) - the main problem is finding the ADF (Adaptor Description Files) for the added features/cards.

The usual suspects in the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware newsgroup have already provided links to some ADF files for what they assume the boards likely are based on my descriptions.

Aside: I thought that ADF was short for Auto Definition File. But I can see how Adapter works too.

My copy of the Reference Disk would not likely have any ADFs from obscure cards, but should have the common files.

Based on my descriptions, the presumption is that I've got a standard (for the model 80) ESDI controller, an 8514/A video card, and an IBM 386 Memory Expansion Adapter. I don't consider those to be too exotic.

Let me know if you need a copy. I recall that I had a 'master diskette' with many collected ADFs which came through the lab. Would have to look for that one, if interested.

I'm always interested in growing my ADF collection.  :-)

ADFs were text files with descriptions of hardware addresses and the like.

That sounds like what I remember.

Not sure of what you mean by 'Rifas' in the last question. Probably an acronym or other abbreviation of something I may know about, but nothing comes to my foggy brain presently.

My understanding is that RIFA is a brand of capacitor which had a model like which is notorious for failing after time and they seemed to be common in the '90s.

"Stiction" is probably not your biggest concern regarding the hard drives. The real problem could be stuck bearings - depending upon HDD model installed. "Stiction" is the condition where the spindle motor did not have enough torque to free the head from the platter surfaces - the drives used in all of the PS/2 Model 80 machines that we saw were beefy enough to overcome any "stiction" condition. We, in the repair lab (years ago, of course), used to see this on the original Apple Mac SE and SE/30 machines where a Sony 20Mb drive was used (the model number has long since been forgotten and is irrelevant to our discussion, of course) but we used to give them assistance to last a couple of startups (or at least one!) for backing up data by using our "inertial rotation" technique to physically spin the drive using hand motion. We would (wrist-strap grounded, of course) grab with our free arm the drive in axial alignment over the spindle and rotate the drive a few times around back and forth in a snapping action. 95% of the time it would work to retrieve the data before we would RMA the drive back to Apple.

*nod*  That's what I was referring to as sticktion.

I don't know the state of the bearings. Is there anything that I can or should do for them?

The battery used is one of the old 6V photoflash types (cannot recall the model, unfortunately). I have a few of them left in my collection - just ran into them in a box (with 2 or 3 left) a few months ago. Each still had over 6v (no load) at the terminals. No idea how long they would last in application under load, though, even though the Model 80 didn't use too much current to hold things in config memory.

ACK

My assumption is that the Model 80 has been powered off for years, if not a decade or more. It's on the older end of a five computers I picked up from someone who wanted them hauled away. I'm not holding my breath that they powered the PS/2 on anytime in the last decade. ;-)

Just my $0.02 (not even sure it was worth that much). Good luck with your 80.

Thank you. You're sharing things that seem familiar. Which is appreciated because it means that my memory isn't that far out of calibration or bit rot.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die