On 3/8/23 9:18 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
I acquired an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-071) today and am looking for advice on what I should do to check it out before, during, and after applying power for the first time.

After many comments here and elsewhere indicating that nothing should smoke, I went ahead and powered the system on.

No smoke!

But no beep nor video output nor keyboard LED activity either. (From known working monitor and keyboard.)

It did sound like both drives spun up without a problem.

I suspect that I'm going to need to take the thing fully apart and clean it and re-assemble it.

I may need to end up acquiring / building the parallel port diagnostic light (LED) adapter to see if I'm getting /anything/ out of the system plainer or if it is truly only power to peripherals.

Thank you all for the comments. If there is interest, I'll share pictures later.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die