On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 3:40 PM Grant Taylor via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/9/23 1:03 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
> > That's my point, at least try the system see if it works as is, but
> > assume the battery is just about dead if not completely.  May have
> > enough juice for one or two more boots. so get the info out of it
> > you can.
>
> I'm curious, what do you think /might/ be about to be lost that's of value.
>
> Based on my understanding, the system seems fairly stock, an IBM ESDI
> controller, an IBM graphics controller, and what appears to be an IBM
> memory expansion.  I naively assume that re-configuring those from the
> ground up would not be a problem.  Of course that's predicated on a
> reference disk with the proper ADF files.

I have worked on enough of these to not take chances.  It's a pain if you
have to guess.  If you can't get into the hard drive you can't read the
config.sys and autoexec.bat for clues, you can't run a diagnostics as
easily. So it's just conservative, my approach.  But yes you could just say
this is a stock system I have the ref disks I don't see any need to worry.
Sounds like you have worked on these enough to know and that's good enough
for me.

> I'm assuming that said reference disk, ADF files, and possibly option
> disk can be acquired.
>
> > The chances a model 80 will smoke out or catch fire is less enough
> > to make that a secondary concern.
>
> Thank you for that.
>
> > no caps like that, this is an IBM.
>
> Cool.
>
> I didn't think so.  But it's been a long time since I've worked on a
> computer 25+ years old.  I'm more cautious now than I was the last time
> I did so.
>
> > Even if there is stiction you should still try to boot and capture
> > as much info as you can first before you replace the battery.
>
> Based on previous experience with PS/2s, and re-configuring from the
> ground up, I'm not too worried.
>
> I'd be likely to acquire a new battery and another power source to
> connect to the battery terminals while I replace the battery.
>
> That being said, I should take my volt meter and see if there's anything
> at all.  If it's dead, then there's not any point in hurrying.
>
> > I used to work at IBM when they sold these.
>
> :-)

THis goes without saying but don't remove the battery!