On 3/9/23 2:24 PM, John Maxwell wrote:
Is there a repository to where I can upload diskette images?

As others have indicated, the Internet Archive seems to be an acceptable place.

There are some other places that are more subject matter specific. The A.T.C. comes to mind for IBM PS/2 stuff.

What format is in widespread use these days?

I have long used a simple `dd` raw image created at the Linux command line. There are a number of tools that are compatible with the same format.

I use DiskImage (Ver5) and Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk (Ver1.17) - both work well. I seem to recall that DiskImage is a commercial product and ImageDisk is still available for free.

When I inquired about archiving PC disks used in 'DOS / 'Windows (compatible) computers in the past, I learned that `dd` raw images and possibly an archive (e.g. zip) of the files on said disk is usually sufficient. It seems as if you need to start getting more complicated when you start playing outside of 'DOS / 'Windows (compatible) world.

Not sure that IBM would use cheap *anything* in their equipment.

I don't know that RIFA was cheap, in any sense of the word. I think of it as a line of components that had a design flaw that likely results in an energetic failure at some point.

A word of warning, the "inertial rotation" procedure was great for smaller drives, but you may break your arm applying this to an ESDI :-)

Yep.

I've done the "inertial rotation" a few times in the past. A few of which were full size (read: 3" x 5ΒΌ" x 6+" drives), which usually meant setting it up side down on a table (often with something smooth between the table and drive) and using both hands to twist on the motor axis specifically to avoid injuring myself.

Aside from dismantling the drive, not really. Just cross your fingers and pray. Usually not a problem. I have an ST225 which had been powered off for two decades and it came up fine in my DEC Rainbow!

ACK

It is my belief that these batteries should still be available from somewhere. If I think of it when I get home, I'll dig out the box and relay the model number. Provided that the box is still where I remember.

Thank you.

As others have mentioned, the batteries are available in some common locations. I don't think it will be too difficult to acquire one.

Seeing as how the old battery is still in there I have the make and model. Then there's all the documentation around the web.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die