On Sun, 12 Mar 2023, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:
The Silicon Valley of old is basically dead.  The magic is gone.
That being said, wherever you decide to go, you'll want to plan your travel
between a very narrow window of time (I don't know what it is anymore, when
I left it was between roughly 11am and 1pm but was constantly narrowing)
during which you will want to be on the highways.  Outside those hours and
you will spend most of your time enjoying the sights of garbage-strewn
highways and the sounds of Bay Area traffic.
Besides the CHM, I can't think of anything that's even around anymore to
consider to visiting otherwise.  Even stupid Fry's is gone.  Like I said,
the Silicon Valley of old is dead.
You might still catch a De Anza swap meet.  Do they still hold it at De
Anza, or did it get moved again?  Or is that swap finally dead also?
The DEC collectors group still meets, you might be able to time your visit
with one of their regular meetings and meet at least a couple other
longtime members of this list.
Lee mentioned the Intel museum.  I'm glad to hear that's still open.  Is
that place on Woz Way still open?  I forget what it's called.
Oh well, it was a good run.

. . . and that nostalgia of what we miss is what fueled stupid prices for a not-to-scale advertising map poster that mentioned some of what once was

It used to be worth driving an hour to go to the Computer Literacy bookstore, . . . and the Foothill swap, before dawn, . . . even the John Craig Computer Swap America at the San Jose fairgrounds, . . .
Electronics, Etc., and Al Lasher's are gone in Berkeley,
Mike Quinn's at the Oakland airport, even Radio Shack is gone