> Hi Jonathan, thanks for your thoughs. I am still using the same NVRAM, just
> with external battery attached, so no Chineese counterfeit.
> My hypothesis is: With the battery losing voltage, some bits flip first. They
> cause the error message you see and values get set to proper values. But
> there are some bytes which must not flip because they determine e.g. the type
> of graphics, processor, speed, RAM timing etc. If one of these bits flips
> first, than one is lost because the machine does not reach the OpenBoot
> firmware because it tries to test non-existing hardware etc. etc.

I wouldn't think that's possible, the small portion of NVRAM used to set
parameters is checksummed, so it's unlikely a random combination would also
result in a correct checksum.

Still, to rule that out, try blanking the NVRAM by writing all zeroes to it.
You may be able to do that with something like a TL866+ and a shim socket --
don't just plug the DS1553 right in, as it's got two output pins that may cause
a conflict!

Thanks,
Jonathan