From: Dominique Carlier via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2024 8:47 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Dominique Carlier <d...@skynet.be>
Subject: [cctalk] Diablo Model 40 Series - Disturbed head positioning

Hello everyone

I need your help to identify an issue on my Diablo Model 40 Series. I don't
know where to look, it's so vast !

Here's the problem:
When RUN is activated, the drive begins its spin up and simultaneously deploys
the heads (normal) but instead of stabilizing them, the Head Positioner
receives a burst of reverse/forward micro signals. The heads "vibrate", this
creates an audible frequency "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR", and it is infinite, the
heads are never loaded and the drive never reaches READY.

At first I thought that perhaps the track zero sensor was defective or
something of the same order but when I disengage RUN mode, the drive unloads
the heads and they should be in a fixed position, here they continue to
reverse/forward but more slowly than in RUN mode.
Because the heads continues to mess around even in unload mode, this a priori
excludes alignment problems.

Here is a video of that issue:

https://youtu.be/HzzxLnSdEOg

Other information, if I cut the power while the drive is in RUN mode, it does
not do an emergency retraction of the heads, related problem?
I was hoping for a power supply problem but all the voltages and even on the
main board cage seem ok (with a multimeter).

If one of you had already encountered this problem of lack of head
stabilization and continuous reverse/forward on this type of drive?

Thanks !

Dominique