It uses the 3 volt Lithium cell found in later Apple devices. Should not leak or explode, replace it and move on.

Needed to start up the NeXT.

On 7/16/2024 10:21 AM, John Robertson via cctalk wrote:
On 2024/07/16 6:28 a.m., Paul Koning wrote:
On Jul 16, 2024, at 9:05 AM, John Robertson via cctalk<cctalk@classiccmp.org>  wrote:

I'm just starting to clean up a NeXT system that a friend has had in storage for decades...

I assume the thing has a battery somewhere - I just hope it isn't Ni-Cad!
At that age it might well be.  So what?  I think they are still available.  Or you can replace it by a non-rechargeable battery. That's what I did with the ToD clock battery in my Pro; a lithium coin cell with a series diode to prevent "charging" is not an ideal solution but adequate, and it would be better if I used a Schottky diode rather than a plain Si rectifier diode I happened to have lying around.

    paul

Battery leakage was the issue - having dealt with a great many logic boards damaged or destroyed by leaking Ni-Cad batteries.

I've since seen a photo of the inside of the NeXT and it looks like they used a plug in Lithium battery, so that risk is no longer of much concern to me.

John :-#)#