On 2024/07/16 9:24 a.m., Bill Degnan wrote:
how hard is it to track down a replacement NeXT cube motherboard?
Bill

Is that a trick question?

I have no idea...this is the first NeXT I've seen in over thirty years! And I think this is the same machine I saw in Vancouver all those years in my friend's basement...

John ;-#)#

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 11:38 AM John Robertson via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

    On 2024/07/16 6:28 a.m., Paul Koning wrote:
    >> On Jul 16, 2024, at 9:05 AM, John Robertson via
    cctalk<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

    >> I'm just starting to clean up a NeXT system that a friend has
    had in storage for decades...

    >> I assume the thing has a battery somewhere - I just hope it
    isn't Ni-Cad!
    > At that age it might well be.  So what?  I think they are still
    available.  Or you can replace it by a non-rechargeable battery.
    That's what I did with the ToD clock battery in my Pro; a lithium
    coin cell with a series diode to prevent "charging" is not an
    ideal solution but adequate, and it would be better if I used a
    Schottky diode rather than a plain Si rectifier diode I happened
    to have lying around.

    >       paul

    Battery leakage was the issue - having dealt with a great many logic
    boards damaged or destroyed by leaking Ni-Cad batteries.

    I've since seen a photo of the inside of the NeXT and it looks
    like they
    used a plug in Lithium battery, so that risk is no longer of much
    concern to me.

    John :-#)#