On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:12:57PM -0700, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> Thats not what I am claiming. I am just stating that
> since the IDE bus and hard drive is under such a heavy
> usage already that adding an extra 4.7 GB of
> throughput to another IDE device on the bus could
> possibly result in an increase in buffer underrun
> errors. I am afraid the bus would get so busy that
> buffers would empty out on the burns and result in
> error.

Almost all systems have two ide busses, so the HD could use one and the
dvd burner could use the other.  Although in my experience with the A03
so far, you must enable DMA on the drive, and the system should not have
too much load while trying to burn the DVD.  A P2 400 did not manage
while running too much other stuff, but if I was runnig a more sensible
system load it would probably have been OK.  If you create other iso's
at the same time, more cpu would certainly be needed.

Len Sorensen