>From: Seth Kurtzberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>If you make mkisofs completely "correct", it becomes rather useless.

>The default behavior of mkisofs happens to also be the default behavior of
>tar; that is, tar continues merrily on its way after an error (at least GNU
>tar does).

>There are good reasons to allow a process that takes a long time to complete,
>such as mkisofs, to continue after an error is encountered rather than just
>quit.

Every tar that works as expected does this way.

>From the 1979 tar.c:

        infile = open(shortname, 0);
        if (infile < 0) {
                fprintf(stderr, "tar: %s: cannot open file\n", longname);
                return;
        }

Not even a notification to the caller is done. The message is all.

'Modern' tar implementations like star (1982-2002 ;-) print a problem
sumary at the end....

All other people who create DVDs know that files > 2 GB are a problem and avoid
them. Even the DVD video standard wants the video to be split into several ~ 1 GB
files.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling