[EMAIL PROTECTED] quoted and then wrote:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling)
>To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>>Problems usually occur when people like you start to freely interpret
>>>standards ia a completely other way as other people do.
>
>>But more problems ensue when people delight in being obscure
>>rather than helpful.  To me the language of the standard is
>>clear.  To you it is clear.
>
>>How does _your_ interepretation differ from mine ?
>
>You need to know _why_ the standard is this way in order to know that
>this part is not usable:
>
>It is there because Apple requested it.

That surprises me.  I realize the notion of an Associated File
is there at the request of Apple, but I was under the impression
that Multi-Extent was in the specification by request of DEC
(perhaps along with others).

>As Apple does not use it, nobody did implementd support for it.

Certainly VMS has code to read multiple extent files (but not
Associated Files) in [V73.F11CD.LIS]F11D_WINDOWTURN.LIS. V7.3
is the current version of VMS, although that support has been
there for about 10 years (from V6.1 or so).  For Associated
Files VMS seems to have just enough code to note their presence
and ignore them.