[EMAIL PROTECTED] quoted and then wrote:

>>From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>Yesterday i lost a 2,3 GB big file because mkisofs "silently" skipped it.
>
>>mkisofs ... $dir && rm -rf $dir
>
>>I had the luck that i can reget that file. But next time it's possibel
>>that i'm not so lucky. So it would be best to "die" instead of a "silent"
>>warning that a file was skipped. (At least as a commandline-option.
>>Something like the "Make warnings to errors" from compilers (this can be
>>especially usefull for scripts where the warnings aren't seen (Today i saw
>>the warning because i was watching the process today)). Or a special
>>option "die when files are too big")
>

>mkisofs definitey does not skip those files silently!
>
>It prints: "File %s is too large - ignoring\n"
>
>It is not possible to put files > 2 GB into a ISO-9660 fs.

Presumably this is just a limit of the mkisofs program.

ISO 9660 : 1988 (E) 9.1.4 says a 32 bit number is used to
specify the Data Length in a Directory Record, but that is
just the number of bytes in that particular File Section.

ISO 9660 : 1988 (E) 9.3.e specifies no limit for the number
of File Sections in an individual File.  Directory Entries
for all of the File Sections must be in the same Directory.

ISO 9660 : 1988 (E) 6.8.1 says that a Directory shall consist
of only one File Section.  Given that limit of 4GB on the size
of any File Section (and thus a Directory) assuming a Directory
Record size of 64 bytes (to make the math easy), it seems to me
a Directory could contain 62,500,000 of those records for
successive File Sections.  Multiply the 62 million Directory
Records in a single Directory by the 4 billion bytes in any
File Section and you have a limit considerably larger than
2 GB.

You need a bigger disc than CDROM, and there may be operating
systems that cannot handle such sizes, but I see no problem
in the ISO 9660 format up to about 2**18 bytes in a file.