> I do not accept your aguement
> because it does not directly attack the issue at hand, which is cameras in
> public.

Actually, it is part and parcel of the same thing, Raymond -- especially
when you add Features Mapping and Recognition software to the mix.  There is
a big difference between a human police officer trying to identify a
specific person directly from a video tape, and that same officer relying on
"authorative" software that claims it has in deed identified a specific
person.  You know human nature: if a machine said it (television, polygraph,
etc.), then we tend to believe it before any other evidence is in.  Like my
statement regarding refusal of DNA sampling -- and as backed up by Eric with
a concrete example -- this is a slippery slope with real world damages right
around the corner.  That is rather dangerous.

> Heck, you could say cops _in general_ lead to abuse, but that
> wouldn't be a good argument, would it?

No, I would never make such a statement.

> Don't tell me, "This policy is bad
> because it could lead to ..."

Of course I will say that, Raymond.  A policy _is_ bad if it will lead our
society (or any one of its individuals) in the wrong direction, or place us
on a slippery slope.  These are the very judgments that we as thinking
citizens must make before such policies are allowed under the law.  Perhaps
I understood your statement incorrectly?  Please correct me where I might
have misinterpreted.

> As a society, we have said that we do not allow for _absolute_ personal
> freedom. If we did, murder would be acceptable. So, we do have to accept
> compromises in order to live in safety.

The only valid compromise is this: that we not be allowed under the law to
deprive another person of his Constitutional Rights by force or fraud.  That
compromise leaves quite a lot of breathing room for a just society with
reasonable safety and the preservation of individual rights.

I really appreciate your take on things, Raymond, and I enjoy the
discussion.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Advanced Certified ColdFusion Developer
Productivity Enhancement, Inc.

Want truly advanced database training?  Register for Database Development
with SQL Server, Oracle, and ColdFusion 5 at
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com!

http://www.CommerceBlocks.com

E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:   770-446-8866