If you're very familiar with CSS, then you'll know that CSS doesn't offer any layout capabilities, beyond the styling and positioning of page elements, like tables and their common counterpart, the <div> tag.

Tables and div's are just containers for other tags. As such, they are the building blocks for your web page. CSS helps you use them as needed. What you choose as the basis for your layout is up to you.

I know I didn't tell you anything you didn't know. My point is that CSS already offers enough for you to create anything you might need in terms of laying out the page.

After all, what's wrong with the hybrid layout technique we discussed?