The main problem with the hybrid layout is that it does not allow full
separation of presentation and logic.  Other than that (which is the primary
complaint of style sheet proponents) I've no problem with it - that's what
I'm using, in fact.

Take a look at some of the links in this thread however - you'll see plenty
of tirades against tables (some more intelligent that others).  I agree with
you - there's not much basis there.  However being able to separate content
from presentation IS a good thing - as long as that presentation is flexible
enough and style sheets often aren't.

Tables, according to purists, are defiantly not for layout - they are not
just containers.  They (again, according to purists) are purely for the
display of tabular data - they should never be used for layouts.  We use
them for layouts simple because they're so damnably GOOD for layouts (much
better than style sheets for many tasks), but they weren't actually designed
to do that.

I don't believe that CSS offers everything needed in terms of page layout -
this is clearly the case since you can't make many simple layouts.  I think
that positioning of elements is pretty much the definition of layout
capabilities - I'm not sure what you mean there.

Jim Davis

  _____