This is a very valid and highly honorable position. It's essentially the same argument that Socrates made when his friends offered to get him out of jail and out of the country. He said that if he accepted the authority of  the Athenian government before it sentenced him to death then he had to accept its sentence. However, I disagreed with him too. They sentenced him to death because he was politically inconvenient and that is wrong. Period.

In the case of military service there is a line somewhere. Is it refuse to serve, refuse to serve in Abu Ghraib, refuse to "stress" prisoners, refuse to make them strip, refuse to beat them? I don't know and I think I would be very arrogant to try to tell *you*. I just know there is a line there somewhere.

Dana