At 10:02 7/1/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Um, halliburton makes money, the stock goes up, no? And yes, it is
>deferred compensation, but it is being paid in stock, correct?

Deferred compensation is to be paid in cash.  But that doesn't mean that
the deal can't be restructed at a latter date.
And he has stock options not stock.  A sophisticated investor like Cheney
is not going to have naked options.  He probably hedged against it and can
only make X amount of dollars on the options to protect his downside.  So
even if HAL goes through the rough he will have limited, if any, monetary
gains.  How do I know this?  I don't for sure but that is what I would
expect most smart people to do.