I love being reminded of the definition of "argument", because the word has taken on such a bad connotation. An argument is NOT a bad thing. One of the few things i really liked about my liberal arts education (would you like fries with that?) were my philosophy classes. Learning how to construct valid arguments, applying logic, and most importantly, showing how logical fallacies can be used to dispute the validity of someone elses argument.

I hate the phrase "well, thats just my opinion", as if merely having an opinion is sufficient. If it's not logical, and you can't argue it successfully.....you shouldn't hold the opinion in the first place.

Brian
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Howie Hamlin
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:19 AM
  Subject: Re: Interesting Quote

  An argument, by definition is:

  "the act or process of arguing. a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion"

  In that light, what I said it true.  I said nothing about the exchange of invectives but rather referred to the above meaning of "argument."

  To paraphrase:

  Another way to respond to my email would have been to express a lack of understanding and ask for context or even just to express your view rather than assuming that I was referring to some kind of heated argument.

  Howie

  P.S. it's "Jane, you ignorant 'slut'"

  <snip>