I had the "temporary" AOL account when my wife and I moved to Chicago
back in 1999.  It was before I bought my domain name, we needed email
accounts, and we didn't have a computer yet.  Well, our apartment
building had a computer room, but the comps were locked down and would
only dial AOL access numbers.  So, we got AOL accounts for about 4 or 5
months.

It's now 2004.  We cancelled our AOL accounts less than 6 months after
signing up, and we still get bugged to re-enroll.  Amazing, really.

They never go away, though, Mr. West.  Prepare for the worst :)

- Jim